A complete restoration of a rare 19th century schoolhouse in Chana, Illinois. After more than century of disuse and abandonment, it was actually scheduled for demolition. A group of concerned citizens banded together to save and restore this quaint 19th century schoolhouse to its original condition. The school was moved for miles from Chana to park overlooking the Rock River in Oregon, Illinois, and now serves as a museum and visitors’ center.
The schoolhouse features a bell tower and a lofty interior, complete with tin cove molding and ceilings, and hardwood flooring. While it started as a single room schoolhouse, a second room was added just a few years later in 1890 to accommodate the burgeoning student body at the time.